
Operatives of the Department of State Security (DSS) have apprehended two primary suspects linked to the brutal killing of 16 northern Nigerians in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area, last week.
Fred Itua, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo, confirmed in a statement that the arrests were made in Uromi following reliable intelligence gathered by the DSS. He also mentioned that various security agencies are actively searching for other individuals who may have played significant roles in the tragic incident.
According to Itua, “The Department of State Security has arrested two main suspects connected to the deaths of 16 northern Nigerians in Uromi, Esan North East. The arrests were made by DSS operatives, who acted on credible intelligence. Other key suspects are currently being pursued by multiple security agencies involved in the investigation.”
In recent developments, the two primary suspects arrested by DSS officials have been transferred to Abuja for further questioning and legal action, according to sources from The PUNCH. Authorities have confirmed that 14 additional individuals linked to the killings have also been moved to the Force Headquarters for continued investigation.
A source revealed to The PUNCH, “The transfer of the suspects to Abuja follows a directive from the Inspector-General of Police. The investigation is ongoing, and further details will emerge as the process unfolds.”
While details regarding compensation for the victims’ families remain unclear, Itua stated that both the Edo and Kano state governments are in discussions to provide suitable compensation. “Governor Okpehbolo has met with the Kano State Government and visited the families of the 16 victims, where he made a promise to offer compensation. Although I cannot confirm the exact form this compensation will take, the two states are collaborating to ensure the families receive appropriate support,” he said.
A local resident, identified as Michael, shared concerns from the community, stating that many individuals from the area where the killings occurred are fleeing their homes out of fear of being arrested. He also noted that women in the region had gathered at the Ojuromi of Uromi’s palace to protest the widespread and indiscriminate arrests made by security forces following the killings.
“It’s a tense situation, with people abandoning their homes because they fear being arrested by the police, who are under orders to apprehend everyone involved. I believe the protests by the women were in response to these random arrests by security forces,” Michael explained.
Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has accused opposition political parties of attempting to provoke unrest and destabilize the state. During a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday, the state APC chairman, Jarret Tenebe, claimed that key opposition groups, in collaboration with other entities, are plotting to create chaos and make the state ungovernable.
“It has come to our attention that some opposition parties in Edo, along with two other groups, are planning to instigate a crisis in the state. Their goal is to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo, as they are uncertain about their chances of success in the ongoing Election Petition Tribunal,” Tenebe said.
The News Agency of Nigeria also reported that the tribunal is set to deliver its judgment on Wednesday regarding a petition filed by the PDP candidate, Asue Ighodalo, challenging the results of the September 21, 2024, governorship election in the state.