Niger Junta Puts Troops On Alert As Tinubu Vows To Advance Nigeria’s Interest

Niger Junta Puts Troops On Alert As Tinubu Vows To Advance Nigeria’s Interest

The junta in Niger has ordered its armed forces to go on highest alert in anticipation of any attack.

The junta cited an increased threat of attack, according to an internal document issued by its defence chief on Friday.

The document, sighted by Reuters on Saturday, said the order to be on maximum alert would allow forces to respond adequately in case of any attack and “avoid a general surprise”.

“Threats of aggression to the national territory are increasingly being felt,” it said.

The West African bloc ECOWAS has been trying to negotiate with the leaders of the July 26 coup, but has said it is ready to deploy troops to restore constitutional order if diplomatic efforts fail.

Speaking at a press conference on Friday, the bloc which said it was not planning to invade Niger, added that it was “determined to bend backwards to accommodate diplomatic efforts.”

“For the avoidance of doubt, let me state unequivocally that ECOWAS has neither declared war on the people of Niger, nor is there a plan, as it is being purported, to invade the country, ECOWAS Commission President Omar Alieu Touray told reporters.

The ECOWAS however said the use of force to restore a democratic government remain the last option.

The bloc had earlier in August activated a standby force for a possible intervention.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Gists9ja

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *